Thornhill Dentist : Taking Care of Your Teeth at Home
If you protect and take care of your teeth, it is most likely to last a lifetime. Tooth decay doesn’t only happen to kids, but also to adults because tooth decay can happen as long as you have natural teeth. While the use of fluoride toothpaste is a good practice for a home routine, you also have an option to visit a dentist teeth cleaning Thornhill for a more detailed cleaning work.
When you have good oral hygiene, it results in a healthy mouth, and therefore also avoid diseases such as gum diseases caused by the build-up of dirt in the gums. When infected with gum disease, the gums become red, tender and swollen, and may also easily bleed when in contact with outside stimulants.
Below are some tips from a Thornhill Ontario dentist on how to take care of your teeth at home:
- Brush your teeth twice a day and use a fluoride toothpaste
- Floss twice a day. It is best to use a waxed floss as it easier to work with.
- Visit your dentist regularly.
- Avoid tobacco and alcohol as these could stain your teeth and leave a residue. Through time, these stains will also build up, harden and may lead to gum disease.
- Avoid eating acidic and sugary food as these can cause corrosion in the teeth’s enamel.
- Gently brush your gums and cheeks.
- Use an antiseptic mouthwash as a finish to your brushing routine. This kills the remaining bacteria inside the mouth and gets washed away when rinsing.
- Clean your tongue with a tongue scraper. This will remove food particles stuck in the small pores of your tongue.
- Avoid eating sticky food as sticky food leaves a lot of residue in your mouth. This makes it hard to clean up, making your mouth prone to decay.