Thornhill Dental Clinic: Treating Special Needs Patients
Many people would say it is vital, but oral health can be challenging for some. According to the Canadian Dental Association, “about 1 in 10 Canadians aged 5 to 17 years old have untreated cavities” and “among adults aged 35 to 44 years old, 26% have untreated decay”. These numbers are significant, and they highlight the importance of finding a Thornhill dental clinic that can care for patients with special needs.
Dental treatments offered to special care patients?
Dental offices offer a variety of services for patients with special needs, including:
- Dental cleanings and exams
- Fillings and extractions
- Root canals
- Dentures and bridges
They also offer sedation dentistry for patients who may be anxious or have difficulty getting numb.
Sedation dentistry for special needs patients
Some patients may have special needs that require sedation dentistry. This includes patients who:
- Are anxious or have a fear of the dentist
- Have difficulty getting numb
- Have a low pain tolerance
- Need multiple dental procedures done at one time
The Thornhill dental clinic offers different types of sedation depending on the needs of the patient to make them feel comfortable and relaxed during their appointment.
Types of sedation
If you’re one of the many people who experiences anxiety at the dentist, sedation dentistry may be a good option for you. Sedation dentistry is a safe and effective way to help patients relax during dental procedures. There are different levels of sedation, from light sedation (also called “twilight sedation”) to general anesthesia.
Aside from that, these are the various types of sedation:
Oral conscious sedation
This is a pill the patient takes before their appointment. It will help them to feel more relaxed, but they will still be awake and able to answer questions the dentist may ask.
This gas is inhaled through a mask during the appointment. It will help the patient to feel more relaxed in the Thornhill dental clinic and can sometimes make them feel a little bit sleepy. This is safe and the dentist only gives appropriate dosage for each type of patient.
This sedation is given through an IV and will help the patient to feel very relaxed or even asleep during their appointment. It takes effects faster than the other types and dentists can easily adjust its dosage during procedures.
Your Thornhill dentist can discuss which sedation option is right for you based on your level of anxiety and the procedure being performed. Sedation dentistry can help make your dental experience more comfortable, and it can also help reduce the time needed for treatment. So if you’re looking for a relaxing dental experience, ask your dentist from the Thornhill dental clinic about sedation dentistry.
How do dental clinics deal with special needs patients?
Every patient is unique, and dentists strive hard to work with you to create a treatment plan that meets your specific needs. Your dentist and their dental team will take the time to get to know you and your smile to provide the best possible care.
- As soon as you enter the dental office, we will greet you with a warm smile and make you feel welcome.
- The dental staff will ask you about your dental history and your goals for your visit.
- Your dentist or the dental hygienist will then thoroughly examine your mouth, teeth, and gums.
- They may take X-rays or other images to better look at your teeth and gums.
- After that, they will develop a treatment plan tailored specifically for you.
No matter your dental needs, your dentist will work with you to find a solution that meets your needs and fits your budget. Most Thornhill dental clinics accept dental insurance plans and offer financing options to make paying for dental care accessible and affordable.
Most clinics now take advantage of state-of-the-art equipment and techniques to provide the best possible care for our patients. They have also acquired digital x-rays, which use less radiation than traditional x-rays to better care for your overall health.
Your dentist will work with you to ensure you receive the best care possible and will do their best to accommodate you if you have any special needs or requirements.
Dental clinic amenities and services
Thornhill dental clinics offer a variety of amenities for our patients with special needs, including:
- A relaxed and comfortable environment
- A team of caring and experienced professionals
- A variety of payment options
- Assistance with filing insurance claims
- Convenient and flexible scheduling
- State-of-the-art Thornhill dental clinic equipment and techniques
- Digital x-rays and useful technologies
- Comfortable lounge or waiting area with free access to Wi-Fi
- Fun play area for kids and special needs patients
- TV and sound system that plays relaxing music and shows
- Wheelchair accessibility
The Thornhill dental clinic is committed to providing the best possible care for all of their patients. If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact the office.
Going to the dentist can be a stressful experience, but your Thornhill dentist promises to make it as easy and comfortable for you as possible. If you have any questions about the dental services and treatments for special needs patients, or if you would like to schedule an appointment, please contact your dentist today.