Tips to Follow After a Root Canal Treatment
A root canal treatment is considered basic dental care and can be done by a clinic that offers general dentistry in Thornhill. It is a standard procedure and most say it isn’t any more painful than a getting a tooth filled. A tooth that has undergone root canal treatment has a very high rate of success and as long as it is provided good oral hygiene it usually lasts a lifetime. Following your treatment, there are some things you should and shouldn’t do.
Care for After your Root Canal Treatment in Thornhill
Before you leave following a root canal, the dentist will give you some specific directions. Be sure to follow the guidelines given to you by the dental office. There may be some specific instructions the dentist wants to give to you. Here are a few general guidelines to consider after your root canal treatment in Thornhill.
- Don’t eat or drink anything while your mouth is still numb from the treatment. This will keep you from biting your tongue or the inside of your mouth.
- Do not bite or chew on the tooth that received treatment until the dentist tells you it is fully restored.
- Take prescribed medications as directed by the dentist, even if they are over the counter pain relievers. This helps alleviate discomfort.
When to Contact Your Dental Professional
In most cases, after root canal service in Thornhill, your tooth will continue to heal naturally. It is normal to experience pain for a few days following the root canal. If you develop any of the following symptoms, you should contact your clinic for general dentistry in Thornhill.
- If there is visible swelling either inside or outside your mouth
- If you develop a rash, itching or hives as it could be an allergic reaction to your medication
- If your original symptoms reappear
- If your bite doesn’t feel even