Regular Cleaning And Scaling Can Prevent Dental Issues
It’s very important for your teeth and mouth to be perfectly healthy, as it has a direct impact on your overall health. In fact, neglecting oral health can also trigger serious medical conditions such as cardiovascular disease, diabetes, stroke, etc.
Though brushing your teeth and flossing are important to do at home, you must not neglect a dental checkup for a complete cleaning and examination. According to the American Dental Association, you should see your dentist once every six months so that your teeth remain healthy.
What the dentist will do?
A typical dental exam takes about 45 minutes, and includes a thorough teeth cleaning. This means cleaning, scaling as well as polishing and rinsing your teeth. This allows for tartar and plaque removal which might have accumulated on the surface of the tooth.
How dental cleanings help?
A regular teeth cleaning from your dentist, helps with:
- Prevention of tooth decay, periodontal disease and bad breath;
- Early detection of gingivitis;
- Saving you money by not having to undergo dental procedures that could have been prevented;
- Retaining your beautiful smile for life;
- Keeping you updated on the state of your oral health;
- Preventing oral cancer, heart disease and strokes, and promoting overall good health.
Scaling and Root Planing
These are the two best non-surgical methods of treating gum disease in the early stages. They are also known as deep cleaning methods or conventional periodontal therapy. Here, the dentist cleans between gums and teeth, right down to the roots of the teeth.
What the dentist will do?
Scaling involves scraping any tartar that’s collected on the surface of the teeth. Planing follows when the dentist smoothes out the surface of the root to remove any bacteria there. If you suffer from gum disease, the dentist will remove all tartar and plaque from the inner periodontal pockets and any bacterial toxins to bring your gums back to good health.
Scaling is a continuous process of plaque removal. If plaque isn’t removed by brushing, it will develop within a space of about 13 hours. Take your dentist’s advice on how to treat your teeth at home between visits.
How scaling and root planing help?
- Good dental care prevents the development of several serious oral and dental conditions. If your mouth is healthy, it means you have a healthy body too.
- They help get rid of gum disease before it can develop into bleeding gums and gingivitis.
- Regular scaling by your dentist helps in averting the risk of heart disease, Type 2 diabetes, stroke, infection and bone loss. Arterial plaque and chronic inflammation could also form due to plaque buildup.
- Since planing smoothes out the tooth surface, plaque cannot easily stick, making the tooth bacteria-free.
- Scaling also helps prevent oral cancer.
By regularly following the above methods of teeth cleaning, you’ll promote overall good health. If you are looking to get pearly white teeth, drop in at our clinic for a free consultation about the ways you can achieve that smile.