Why Visit a Pediatric Dentist?
Most new parents understand the need for regular doctor’s visits for their newborn and toddlers. However, many do not realize that a regular dental visit is equally important for maintaining the health of their child. Children start teething in their first six months, and quite a few of them develop dental issues like caries by the time they are two or three. This is usually because they haven’t started an oral hygiene routine early enough. This routine may consist of brushing and flossing, addressing fluoride needs, dietary discipline, etc. To prevent tooth decay at such a young age, and to develop healthy dental habits, it is extremely important for parents to get acquainted with a pediatric dentist. In fact, according to the American Dental Association (ADA), each child must visit a dentist by their first birthday or within six months of teething.
How is a pediatric dentist different from a regular one?
A pediatric dentist is someone who specializes in handling the dental health of children, from infants to teens. Pediatric dentists undergo two years of training in pediatric dentistry over and above the standard, four-year dentistry program. Having your child see a regular dentist, for lack of a pediatric one, isn’t a problem. It still makes sense, however, to see someone who specializes in the dental health of children. Fortunately, there are many good pediatric dentists in the Thornhill area for you to visit.
Advantages of taking your child to a pediatric dentist:
- Clinic ambience: The clinics of pediatric dentists have a child friendly atmosphere. They are usually filled with bright colors and décor, and even some toys and picture books to ensure a child does not feel intimidated.
- Company of other children: In a pediatric dentist’s clinic, there will be many other kids around for your child to play and make friends with, so as to distract them while they’re waiting!
- Experience with children: From the receptionist and dental assistant to the dentists themselves, all have sufficient experience with children. They are better prepared to deal with a child, no matter how scared, tired or impatient the child might be.
- Parent Counseling: Pediatric dentists do not just examine the oral health of the child, but also guide the parents through teaching their kids good oral habits. The dentists go over what kinds of foods to avoid or add to the child’s diet for healthy teeth, how to help the child in giving up habits like thumb sucking, etc. They also are able to answer parental concerns related to teething.
Is it time for your child’s dental visit? Book an appointment with a pediatric dentist in Thornhill.
Pediatric dentists are qualified to handle all dental issues for children, up until they’re teenagers. Some of the common dental problems they treat include:
- Dental caries or cavities.
- Cleaning and Fluoride treatment.
- Gum bleeding or swelling.
- Abscess, mucoceles, etc.
- Restoring broken or chipped teeth resulting from accidents.
- Replacing lost teeth.
Pediatric dentists usually have a get-to-know session with children first in order to build trust. This goes a long way in laying the foundation for peaceful future visits. Experts recommend that children and adults alike visit a dentist every six months to ensure timely detection of tooth decay or gum disease so as to avoid complicated procedures later on. Keep your family’s oral health in mind!